Friday, April 10, 2009

Toronto Blue Jays?!?

Holy Crap! During the off season and during spring training, I was way down on the Jays because I perceived them to be at one of their lowest of lows in a very long time. With the exodus of AJ Burnett, BJ Ryan sucking balls, Sean Marcum and Dustin McGowan out (how typical of pitchers to do that), I had very little faith left in the team, and with hitting as bad as last season (supposedly) I thought that this year would be a struggle to fight to be not-last place in the highly competitive American League East division. But boy was I wrong! It turns out the hype around Travis Snider and Adam Lind were pretty accurate, as I've seen both play and boy, they sure can hit! I remember reading this one blog analyzing OPS, slugging and other hitting stats, claiming that with the arrival of long-time manager Cito Gaston, that the Jays had improved significantly in hitting over the team that John Gibbons had managed. And yeah, I can see the difference, though this might just be the effects of other teams pitching not up to regular season par, since the Jays were hitting collectively around .233 in spring training, and that isn't a very good batting average, so I don't know, but as of right now, I'm sold on this team, and its players, batters like Marco Scutaro, Scott Rolen, Kevin Millar, Adam Lind, Aaron Hill have been so fun to watch, and so far I've seen the whole rotation pitch once, and they're all really good, I was impressed with the rookie pitchers Ricky Romero and Scott Ritchmond, and Doc was as excellent as ever.

So, keep up the good play, and watching how the Yankees are not doing so great even with their new cash-infusion of talent (AJ Burnett among that cash crop), the Jays might have a chance! They finished last year with a record of 86-76, and they were 11 games out of the division lead, it's not that much of a stretch to see this new hitting behemoth of a team squeeze out another 10 wins and they might just come out on top!

Jays record: 4-1

No comments: